Seattle-A few questions

helberger

Seattle-A few questions

Post by helberger » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:46 pm

Hi,

I installed Seattle airport scenery a few days ago, and like it very much, what a change from the fs9 default scenery.

However I get quite a bit of shimmering as soon as an aircraft moves, notice it most on the jetways. Now if this is normal I can live with it. If not any suggestions how to fix this. I have already tried a lot of different fs settings.

My system is a P4 2.8 gig, 1 gig ram, Ati 9800 pro 128mb video card.
I have AF set at 4x in fs, AA at 6x in driver, Cat 5.8. most sliders are on close to high. if I go too high performance will suffer.

There was no shimmering with the default airport, why with a commercial
addon?

Would Fly-Tampa consider doing CYYZ? there is one from simflyers, but
I am aware its hard on fps.

Thanks,

Helmut
aarskringspier

Re: Seattle-A few questions

Post by aarskringspier » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:40 pm

helberger wrote:Hi,

I installed Seattle airport scenery a few days ago, and like it very much, what a change from the fs9 default scenery.

However I get quite a bit of shimmering as soon as an aircraft moves, notice it most on the jetways. Now if this is normal I can live with it. If not any suggestions how to fix this. I have already tried a lot of different fs settings.

My system is a P4 2.8 gig, 1 gig ram, Ati 9800 pro 128mb video card.
I have AF set at 4x in fs, AA at 6x in driver, Cat 5.8. most sliders are on close to high. if I go too high performance will suffer.

There was no shimmering with the default airport, why with a commercial
addon?

Would Fly-Tampa consider doing CYYZ? there is one from simflyers, but
I am aware its hard on fps.

Thanks,

Helmut
What are your mip maps set at? Also shimmering is normal to a point. I dont really get it but its a known problem in FS.
helberger

Post by helberger » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:56 pm

What are your mip maps set at? Also shimmering is normal to a point. I dont really get it but its a known problem in FS.

My Mip maps is set to "High Quality" in the video driver setting, I have not yet touched this one, but just about everyting else.

Helmut
aarskringspier

Post by aarskringspier » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:36 pm

helberger wrote:What are your mip maps set at? Also shimmering is normal to a point. I dont really get it but its a known problem in FS.

My Mip maps is set to "High Quality" in the video driver setting, I have not yet touched this one, but just about everyting else.

Helmut

What are the mips in the sim, I know if you increase them from 4 it can cause a lot of shimmer. Also try unchecking render to texture.
helberger

Post by helberger » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:03 pm

What are the mips in the sim, I know if you increase them from 4 it can cause a lot of shimmer. Also try unchecking render to texture.

The mips in the sim is set to 4, as per the manual I moved it 5-6 mips, made for a much worse shimmering, back to 4 which is fs standard anyway. I also
have "render to texture=0. Maybe its my ATI 9800pro that is causing it.

Don't know.

Helmut
george[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by george[flytampa] » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:14 pm

setting your mipmaps to 'high quality' will actaully cause MORE flicker.
helberger

Post by helberger » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:47 pm

setting your mipmaps to 'high quality' will actaully cause MORE flicker

I set mipmaps to quality, performance, high performance, and some shimmering is still there, mostly noticed on the jetways. Anything else I can
try??? If not I will have to live with it, must be the video card or driver.

Helmut
paavo

Post by paavo » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:45 pm

ATI cards are worse for this than Nvidia, I use a 6800 gt oc, so my settings won't help you, but I do know that having the AA all the way up is important in stopping the shimmer's, I keep mipmaps to 4, and my AS is turned all the way up, I spent a long time with this problem, including uninstall and reinstall of FS9 and all my add ons, sadly the best advice I can give you is do what I did, I replaced my ATI 9700 pro with the BFG 6800 gt oc, I spent weeks trying to fix the shimmers, I feel your pain. You can also dig through the avsim forums for more help.
helberger

Post by helberger » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:15 pm

The strange thing is I don't have this problem with any of the default airports,
I have the same shimmering on the freeware VHHH from Thomas Kwong. So
it must be a video card problem, I have AA set to max, and AF set to 4 in fs and mip maps at quality. I tried all other settings already with no luck. With the Seattle scenery I notice it most in the C4 area when I come down rw 34l. Unfortunately there are only so many settings to try. I will be upgrading in 3-4 month, maybe another video card might help. I am just wondering If anyone else with the same card (ATI 9800 pro 128mb) has this shimmering as well, or am I the only one.

Thanks
keithge

Shimmering Issue

Post by keithge » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:13 pm

I have the same card, and my outside scenery is very natural looking. I do get some weird wavy design shimmering on some tall buildings, but the basic terrain looks rather good. I did have some sparkly shimmering at one time, but my current settings must be working rather well.

Go to AVSIM in the Tips & Tricks forum under the Microsoft area. I posted a special topic for ATI 9800 Pro owners to stop the shimmers. All my settings were annotated for the graphic card itself, and the internal FS9 settings. I am using the latest 5.8 ATI drivers.

Post a reply back here if the settings worked for you. Good luck!!

Keith
helberger

Post by helberger » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:22 pm

Thanks, I will follow your suggestion and see if I find anything in "Tips & Tricks at Avsim. I will report back with the results.

Thanks all for your help.

Helmut