Toronto Release Notes (Perf, Mem/VAS, Texture Packs)

martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Toronto Release Notes (Perf, Mem/VAS, Texture Packs)

Post by martin[flytampa] » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:42 am

Toronto comes with a Configurator Tool and two Optional Texture Packs. The default Installation is pre-configured for high-end systems. To enable all Options in the Config Tool and run the HITEX Pack, a top of the line CPU and GPU is required. Keep in mind that even with all Options turned Off, Toronto still features more details (Polygon and Textures) then most of our previous airports such as Vienna or Tampa-Rebooted.

VAS Memory
We attempted to make Toronto as scaleable as possible by including many Options and 2 Texture Packs. Please be aware that if you run all available high-end Addons such as REX, FTX-Global, UTX and PMDG aircraft, you will not be able to run Toronto with all Options enabled plus High Resolution Textures. FSX/P3D will crash eventually with an Out-Of-Memory Error. The only solution in this case is to decrease Memory consumption by down-scaling something.

http://www.flytampa.org/dwl/FlyTampa_To ... ITETEX.exe
Optional Texture Pack decreases many default 2048x2048 textures to 1024x1024. Toronto’s Texture Folder will be decreased from 333MB (Default Installation) to just 148MB. Please note that most previous FlyTampa Airports use 1024x1024 Textures, so this LITETEX Pack is adjusting Toronto to a visual quality closely resembling our other Airports. This Texture Pack is recommended for users running FTX-Global, REX, PMDG aircraft, etc.

Additional Memory savings can be achieved by deactivating the following items in the FlyTampa-Configurator:
3D People, Animated Cars, Animated Apron Traffic, Animated Link Train.
Because these Animations contain long sequences of Keyframes, the result are fairly large BGL files which have to be loaded into Memory. Lastly, Apron Vehicles and Details as well As Static Vehicles can free a fair amount of Memory when disabled. On a general note, check your FSX.CFG for the LOD_RADIUS setting. The default value is 4.5 and a higher value will result in higher memory consumption.

http://www.flytampa.org/dwl/FlyTampa_To ... _HITEX.exe
Optional Texture Pack increases various 1024x1024 Textures from the default installation to 2048x2048 Textures. Please note that this will double the size of the texture folder and increase the chances of OOM Crashes in combination with other high-end Addons. To revert to the default Textures, run the original Toronto Installer again.
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Re: Toronto Release Notes (Perf, Mem/VAS, Texture Packs)

Post by martin[flytampa] » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:08 am

Items marked red will impact Memory/VAS and Perf most.
config-tool-toronto.jpg
config-tool-toronto.jpg (139.18 KiB) Viewed 21316 times
I have spent the last 2 weeks prior to release mostly measuring VAS and looking for ways to improve it. Attached 2 shots of my results. Default Toronto seems to be very heavy on VAS, showing 1.74, compared to 2.27 with Fly-Toronto running on top.

Note the shots are both without AI, clear skies and default Cessna. Each after slewing around and looking in all directions for 5mins to let VAS build up until it peaks. Fly-Toronto is running with the LITETEX pack but all Animated Traffic and 3D people as well as other options turned On.

I don't know what else to do about it, other then to strip the wider Toronto area of its "stock vector data" details etc, which is probably whats eating all this RAM. For comparison, loading Fly-Dubai and slewing around for 5mins under the same condition I get a reading of 1.85 In Process Explorer and with stock Dubai I get 1.30. In that sense its the same as Toronto, each adding 500MB on top of stock.
vas-default.jpg
vas-default.jpg (512.96 KiB) Viewed 19506 times
vas-addon.jpg
vas-addon.jpg (518.86 KiB) Viewed 19506 times
streichholz

Post by streichholz » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:21 am

Thank you for sharing lots of usfull tips regarding VAS. :)
mikea

Post by mikea » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:34 am

Thanks for the tips!
qqwertz

Post by qqwertz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks a lot for these helpful tips. Could you provide a few more details on the following?

- I love internal modeling, but my system is hit hard by this scenery (I landed with 7 fps yesterday). I don't mind having low frame rates while at the gate, but I really want to avoid it during approach. Does the internal modeling have a big effect on fps when one approaches CYYZ, or does it only make a difference when one is close to the gates?

- I realize that the surrounding city makes the problem a lot worse, especially with FTX Global and Vector. are there any methods to reduce the impact, aside from reducing autogen?

- Would you by chance know of a tool that enables a user to set scenery parameters dynamically during flight? Something like "high complexity" while at the gate or cruising, but "low complexity" during takeoff and approach?

Thanks for the wonderful scenery,
Peter
accmiranda

Post by accmiranda » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:45 am

An extraordinary scenery, thank you for your work :o ................ any change to make this scenery for FS9? :wink:

Best regards
johanfrc

Post by johanfrc » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:48 am

accmiranda, have a look here:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7170

and also here:
viewtopic.php?p=45416#p45416

And here:
viewtopic.php?p=45464#p45464

I think that will answer your question about FS9.
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:16 am

qqwertz wrote:I love internal modeling, but my system is hit hard by this scenery (I landed with 7 fps yesterday). I don't mind having low frame rates while at the gate, but I really want to avoid it during approach. Does the internal modeling have a big effect on fps when one approaches CYYZ, or does it only make a difference when one is close to the gates?
The Internal modelling only kicks in from a certain proximity (LOD system). From how far away this happens depends on your view zoom level. If you look closely at at any terminal windows and slew/move away from it, you can see them change from transparent to opaque at some point. This normally should happen while still on the airport ground, so while on final approach, none of the Internal modelling is really visible.
qqwertz wrote:I realize that the surrounding city makes the problem a lot worse, especially with FTX Global and Vector. are there any methods to reduce the impact, aside from reducing autogen?
2 more things you can check. "Ground Scenery Cast Shadows" has to be off. I compiled most of Toronto's models with the Shadow flag enabled in order for P3D to be able to render its shadows. FSX's shadows are an older system and cost a lot of performance. All previous FT airports were compiled with the Shadow flag off so this is something that changed for Toronto.

Also check the regular "Scenery Complexity" slider. During some point in Beta we found that turning it to Very-Sparse, or Sparse increased Performance a lot. This wasn't related to our Airport however, it was something within the greater Toronto Area causing the drag. I analyzed this for days, excluding the default downtown highrises, marinas, nearby airport builldings etc, but never found out what the culprit was. If you see a very large improvement on "Very Sparse", let me know. (Again, Scenery Complexity slider, not Autogen).
qqwertz wrote:Would you by chance know of a tool that enables a user to set scenery parameters dynamically during flight? Something like "high complexity" while at the gate or cruising, but "low complexity" during takeoff and approach?
I recall reading such a tool being proposed years ago, but haven't seen anything like it.
qqwertz

Post by qqwertz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:13 am

Hi Martin,

thanks a lot for your reply. I managed to get the frame rates up to about 20 fps, which is perfectly fine for me, by disabling internal modeling (sniff) and setting scenery complexity to sparse. LOD radius is only 3.5, but I didn't change that. Shadows have also been off.
I recall reading such a tool being proposed years ago, but haven't seen anything like it.
I wonder if that's something the ORBX guys are doing at their small airports. I noticed that the textures get very blurry if the objects are farther then, say, 100 m away.

Thanks for your help, it will make my YYZ landings much better :)

Peter
star raider

Post by star raider » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:33 am

Wonderful Scenery! Purchased yesterday and love it... Just wanted to mention that some of the 3D Ramp people might want to be fired... They look a little drunk walking around :/ :P
ValleySimTech

Post by ValleySimTech » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:39 am

Just loaded up Toronto, the high-texture version with FTX Global and REX installed and with the default installation settings I was getting 12-15 fps on the ground or in the air. Without changing anything else I lowered the Scenery Complexity slider to Sparse and my FPS went up to a decent average of 20 -21. I will try using it at these setting for now with some weather, addition AI etc. and see how it works. Got to say it looks amazing so far.
ywg256

Post by ywg256 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:17 am

ValleySimTech wrote:Just loaded up Toronto, the high-texture version with FTX Global and REX installed and with the default installation settings I was getting 12-15 fps on the ground or in the air. Without changing anything else I lowered the Scenery Complexity slider to Sparse and my FPS went up to a decent average of 20 -21. I will try using it at these setting for now with some weather, addition AI etc. and see how it works. Got to say it looks amazing so far.
Might have to try that...do u use ai?
aircanadajet

Post by aircanadajet » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:43 pm

First of all, AMAZING!!! Just purchased the pack, but it came with two files, and I was wondering if I should install the second file as I have installed the weather tool called REX? Thanks for the amazing work, you guys never stop to amaze me
martin[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by martin[flytampa] » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:58 pm

aircanadajet wrote:First of all, AMAZING!!! Just purchased the pack, but it came with two files, and I was wondering if I should install the second file as I have installed the weather tool called REX? Thanks for the amazing work, you guys never stop to amaze me

The second file is an optional LITE Texture Pack. You can run it without first and only install it if you run into problems (mostly crashing with "Out of Memory"). If you never crash, don't install it.