Board index » FlyTampa » General Discussion

This incident at MIA was quite shocking.

MIAMI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
MIA train hits building; riders injured
Several passengers were injured when an automatic terminal-to-terminal train crashed at Miami International Airport.
Lt. Arnold Piedrahita of Miami-Dade Fire Resuce says five of the seven passengers on the train were taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Lt. Arnold Piedrahita of Miami-Dade Fire Resuce says five of the seven passengers on the train were taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital.
ALEX KOLYER/FOR THE MIAMI HERALD

BY JOSE PAGLIERY
jpagliery@MiamiHerald.com

Airline passengers traveling aboard a Miami International Airport train Friday were violently tossed from where they stood when their automated vehicle overshot a stop and slammed into a building near a concourse.

The passengers had only the metal poles and handgrips to hold on to when the hard shock rocked the train as it slammed into the structure and injured several, authorities said. The passengers were on their way to catch flights.

It was the first time since the system opened almost 30 years ago that a crash occurred on the track, said Greg Chin, an MIA spokesman. He said that the Miami-Dade Aviation Department will conduct an investigation to determine what caused the train to run past its stop and into the building.

The trains, which are not piloted by a conductor, have run on an automated track at MIA for the last 27 years, said Chin. Each of the airport's two trains has standing room for 75.

There were seven people on the train when the accident occured. Miami-Dade Fire Rescue said five were taken to the Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital northwest of downtown Miami.

Three were in serious condition and one was listed as critical, according to Miami-Dade Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Arnold Piedrahita.

Chin said all seven passengers received injuries when the three-car train ran into a building near Concourse E. ''All [aboard] had some form of injury,'' he said.

Piedrahita noted that a witness to the crash also was taken to the hospital because the witness was traumatized by the episode.

Each of the cars in the existing MIA automated system is about the size of a Miami Metromover car. The Metromover is a similar system, with automated trains that loop around the downtown area carrying passengers between skyscrapers and the elevated Metrorail system.

There have been plans to add a new automated people mover as part of MIA's expensive and extensive ongoing overhaul.

The future system, contracted by Sumitomo of America, has been delayed from its initial scheduled completion in June 2004.

As of May, it was scheduled to be ready in late 2009.

This happened to me once. One time I was playing with my PlaySchool easy airport set that came with a small train and I was pushing it too fast and it jumped the F*ck*ng track and hit the side of the airport. I was all like what the F&^$!!! It blew my mind. After that, everything was kinda a blur.... I think I was 4.

newmanix wrote:This happened to me once. One time I was playing with my PlaySchool easy airport set that came with a small train and I was pushing it too fast and it jumped the F*ck*ng track and hit the side of the airport. I was all like what the F&^$!!! It blew my mind. After that, everything was kinda a blur.... I think I was 4.

what the hell is wrong with you

swa5956 jay wrote:
newmanix wrote:This happened to me once. One time I was playing with my PlaySchool easy airport set that came with a small train and I was pushing it too fast and it jumped the F*ck*ng track and hit the side of the airport. I was all like what the F&^$!!! It blew my mind. After that, everything was kinda a blur.... I think I was 4.

What the hell is wrong with you?

newmanix wrote:
swa5956 jay wrote:

I remember the time something like that happened to me. Me and Sandra Bullock were on this train and she was handcuffed to one of the rails so I sped up the train to intentionally derail it. The train eventually derailed on it's side and we escaped. Did I mention that I had decapitated Dennis Hopper a few minutes prior to that?

HAHa!!! AHahah!!!
That's classic!!!!!!!! :P

skydvdan wrote:
newmanix wrote:
swa5956 jay wrote:

I remember the time something like that happened to me. Me and Sandra Bullock were on this train and she was handcuffed to one of the rails so I sped up the train to intentionally derail it. The train eventually derailed on it's side and we escaped. Did I mention that I had decapitated Dennis Hopper a few minutes prior to that?

nice

newmanix wrote:HAHa!!! AHahah!!!

His was...you're post wasn't. You used to be funny...now you're annoying.

I hope we never cross paths.

deltaboeing84 wrote:

I hope we never cross paths.

Rightfully so!

MidgeyMidget2 wrote:

I could say the same about you. Oh wait, you were never funny.

newmanix wrote:
MidgeyMidget2 wrote:

Thank you for just proving my point.

MidgeyMidget2 wrote:
newmanix wrote:
MidgeyMidget2 wrote:

Thank you for just proving my point.

Bump, num... num... num.
 tbmavengerstuka (Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:20 pm)

I apologize in advance, since this might be offensive to some and this does not represent my view of mentally impaired. I just couldn't resist though, and it's very true.