Amsterdam Texture Packs [v1.1]

emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Re: Amsterdam Texture Packs

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:44 pm

I remember FTX Vector and OpenLC were giveing a lot of VAS overhead over AMS. I had to remove in order to test VAS more effectively. Are those add-ons common among you folks?
keino333

Post by keino333 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Yes, but the known fields to turn off are:
Secondary Roads
Tertiary Roads
Sydney1962

Post by Sydney1962 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:10 pm

When Orbx L/C totally turned off still only have 600 mb left when starting from EHAM
with PMDG or Airbus Aerosoft.

so, orbx l/c is giving the same vas when on or off.

what is really strange that Northsea area is giving this high vas rate, and in fact it is a quite empty
space, 50% is only water without any autogen parts.

the only thing I can think about are the photoreal textures, what makes things worse.

the same happened with aerosoft berlin tegel, when excluding the 4 photoreal textures files
Vas dropped down 300-400 mb and airport was flyable again.

maybe an option is to exclude the photofiles from amsterdam without bringing back houses en trees
on runways as mentioned in other topics.

looking forward to a solution, I am very satisfied with all your products, but when most flights ends
with OOM error the joy of flying to and from amsterdam is soon gone.
gerard

Post by gerard » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:12 am

hi,

yesterday i did a flight from flytampa OMDB to EHAM , settings 1 step away from max, autogen setting normal , textures in p3d at 2048 .
This was with the latest fresh reinstalled P3d , inc HF2 .
Flight was with the pmdg 777 , installed was ftxg , lc europe , lc usa , GSX , AS2016 with ASCA and ENVTEX .

1 hour in flight VAS usage was 2464 , started the approach with 2521 vas usage and after landing ( long taxi from rw18R to the S cargo apron ) vas usage was 2886 so no problems here.

Could it be that the problem is with flights coming from the north and the west ( UK , northsea , more vas usage ?) , i came from the southeast with no vas problems ,

Maybe you could try this

Best regards ,

Gerard
jeeno

Post by jeeno » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:47 am

I don't have ORBX stuff installed, but I have VAS issues as well. So I don't think it's something related to ORBX
olsbluesfan

Post by olsbluesfan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:52 am

Flew from Berlin Tegel, dropped to within the localizer and BAM! OOM. I'm going to pause flights to Amsterdam till the next update.
Sydney1962

Post by Sydney1962 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:55 pm

what I think is that when starting with about 1.2 gb free Vas,
you can reach Eham, but when starting from an airport with less then 900 mb , it will be tricky

also think that flying from the south into schiphol has more headspace then when arriving from the other
directions.

One of the reasons that I can think about, is when arriving from the south maybe
a part or photoscenery of amsterdam city is not loaded. but maybe emilios can check that.

when arriving from almost any destination except when flying in from the south to runway 06
you cross a part or full over de city of amsterdam.

hard thing to figure out.
Sydney1962

Post by Sydney1962 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Hello Emilios

Just made some new test with flight from EGSS - EHAM B737NGX PMDG
P3D 3.4

left stansted with 880 vas left - arrived Eham runway 18R with 440 vas left. (so 440 MB Vas used)

lost some 110mb vas when arriving at dutch coast drop from 590 - 480.

Also noticed that long time taxiing on airport from runway 18c tot gate E5 took only 40 mb vas so
airport is really stable in vas consumption .
the biggest vas drops appear around a circle of 30-40 miles from approaching runways

hopefully you can use this info with your own tests.
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks that's good info to have.
From own tests, disabling most surroundings (i.e. autogen), shows the airport is pretty stable as you said. We normally 'merge' stuff into huge models so once they are loaded in the sim, it's done, no more 'additional VAS' is being comsumed by going in and out of the area. I imagine there are different sets of data being loaded when approaching the runways from different angles (ie some approaches being performed over denser areas than others). A lot of it comes from autogen loading, which is much more dense from the north than from south..

i ll be having a few go-arounds to test that further, perhaps come up with a 'lighter autogen' option from the north, if that's what we see here too.
Sydney1962

Post by Sydney1962 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:57 am

thanks for your reply, will make today another run from east see what happened with using runway
27 which is crossing right over amsterdam city.

because most people are using PMDG , IFLY And Aerosoft to fly in and out Amsterdam and these models
takes around 700-900 mb space , so in fact to make good flyable airport vas use without these models loaded
must not exceed 2.4 -2.5 gb. every higher vas use can be tricky.

can you explain how much vas is used or released by phototiles amsterdam used in scenery.

will send you report when finished flight from east side over city.
Sydney1962

Post by Sydney1962 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:12 am

hello Emilios

Have some more info : flight EDDK - EHAM landing runway 27 PMDG NGX 737

start default airport EDDK - 580 GB - wat is really low for default airport
landed EHAM 320 GB -

Noticed drop op vas about 130 mb and a short freeze of simulator at 6.7 miles from Waypoint C127
( Around Almere city ) star via Artip.

Vas dropped down there from 480 -350 mb and never get above 350 during last part of trip to
runway 27. also noticed that flying over amsterdam (partly) didn't to much vas related.

so I suppose there are or in P3D or Orbx parts around amsterdam circle 40-50 miles, that takes memory
and don't release it anymore. also notice this in ruhrarea above flying above 20.000 feet.
don't know if these leaks can be indentified with software.

maybe something to test yourself.

rgds.
Sydney1962

Post by Sydney1962 » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:34 pm

Good morning emilios

I think I have found reason for high vas use around and at EHAM.

Have today made a complete new instal with P3D 3.4 , Active sky , Rex , PMDG, Majestic DASH8 and Airbus
and have 1.3 GB headspace with every plane an on every spot at amsterdam Airport ( Day and Night )

The only thing that is different to my Vas problem disk is that ORBX Global , LC and Vector are not installed

So the problem is one of the ORBX programs, that creates an extra load of about 400-800 mb
and don't release this space when flying around Netherlands.

hope this info can be useful.
emilios[flytampa]
Site Admin

Post by emilios[flytampa] » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Merry Christmas and thanks for the additional testing/info. My first guess would immediately be on Vector, which I have tested and noticed a significant increase in VAS around AMS; note that i did not tweak Vector settings, just left it with its default state after installation. I m not sure whether this is a similar case with Toronto, where terrain information is just too dense, but it's possible.

I am aware of being careful with VAS due to heavy AC add-on overhead. In our tests, EHAM basic setup with LITETEX didnt exceed 2.35-2.38, while default installation (with terminal high res texts) loads in at 2.5GB in P3D, with a few 'goodies' active on config; and thats the highest i ve seen so far on default aircraft (LOD radius and autogen at max). Also note here, that when moving away from EHAM you will also notice that VAS lets go, and drops as low as 1.8-1.9GB which leaves room for landing next airport.
gerard

Post by gerard » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:12 pm

Emilios and Sydney,

i had reinstalled P3d from scratch on a fresh windows 10 and had more than 1.1 GB over after landing and taxiing at EHAM , this was WITH ftx global AND lc europe but without vector .
Also installed are AS2016 with ASCA and ENVTEX, GSX .

Going to try a next flight from the USA to EHAM on Monday .

Gerard
Last edited by gerard on Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.